What is the Busy Buddies project?
This project aims to support people who may need a little help to get them started volunteering for any number of reasons. It may be that they have a mental health issue, mild and moderate learning disability or difficulty, be long term unemployed, have an addiction or offending history.
Thanks to funding from NYCC Stronger Communities, we are helping find one-off or ongoing voluntary activities for people with additional support needs.
As part of the project we are also developing a bespoke programme of training with NYCC Adult Learning & Support Services for people who would benefit from an introduction to safe volunteering.
What benefits could the project have?
Volunteering can have lots of benefits including;
- Building confidence and self esteem
- Being able to help in the community and make a difference
- Learning new skills
- Meeting new people and making new friends
- Improved mental and physical health
- Providing a sense of achievement
Volunteer roles can include:
- Supporting refreshments at coffee mornings
- Helping at events
- Helping to garden , clear river ways or plant trees
- Supporting children at activity clubs
- Working in a charity shop